Returned to Venice from Paris in 1815, the altarpiece was formerly on the main altar of the Casa Mocenigo in the church of Santa Maria della Carità. Generally dated to the early seventeenth century, the work is a worthy translation by Leandro Bassano of his father Jacopo’s painterly language, even though he eschews his father’s crepuscular intimacy to impress a completely different timbral sharpness on his colours.