Torna al sito

The First Hall of the Gallerie dell’Accademia, which can be reached via the eighteenth-century double staircase, occupies the area of the Sala del Capitolo of the Scuola Grande della Carità, a secular confraternity founded in 1268 and one of the oldest in Venice. The ceiling is original, and was executed by the Vicenza member Marco Cozzi between 1461 and 1484 with eight-winged angels, each with a different face. The tondi with the Heavenly Father and Prophets were not part of the fifteenth-century project, but were added later. The floor was put in during the eighteenth-century refurbishing. The current layout is Carlo Scarpa’s, and dates from 1950.